Learning Sketchup

Some patience is required, and off and on for the past 3 years I've been toying with Sketchup (before Google bought it,) gradually noticing the rules and solutions to shape-making problems.
I had learned a small about of Maya modeling, and Sketchup was a simplification and in a way a relief from the intensity of that program.


Suite 405 2009

I made several versions of a loft interior in 538 Johnson, and learned Sketchup along the way. I got chairs from the warehouse, you can get and share stuff on line – all this awesome stuff people make! I got electrical fixtures and Peavy amps… this became my first lesson in economy of design as my computer got slower and slower as I filled a library up with many of the individual books with the covers and the spines… oy, fluted lamp shades…

5 Pointz 2011

When I realized that GE had this fucking incredible feature of 3D Building Layer and Sketchup was the tool to create your own submissions, I was inspired to create our neighborhood. I saw that no one had created a model of 5 Pointz, which is close to where I live, and I started working on that. Someone has made a shitty model of Cornish College of the Arts, and I was offended, and was compelled to replace it (you can do that!) so  I started working on that one… as I made these I learned. There is an excellent help board also.

The Print House 538 Johnson west facade
74 Stewart Peking Foods

5 Pointz detail